Flexible Stone Veneer Installation Guide: Here’s All That You Need To Know
Flexible stone veneer is one of the most popular and easy-to-use materials for wall claddings, feature walls, kitchen backsplashes and more. It can also be used for readymade flooring along with plyboards, MDF, HDF or even real wood. Further, it can also be directly installed on mortar or concrete walls.
In this guide from Decor Slimstone, one of the best flexible stone veneer suppliers in India, we walk you through the installation of thin stone veneers.
Flexible Stone Veneer Installation Guide
Flexible stone veneers are generally glued to surfaces using laminate adhesives. Here’s a step-by-step breakdown of the installation process:
- Prior to installation, the receiving surface – wall, kitchen backsplash or furniture – is cleaned thoroughly to remove dust, grease, oil and other contaminants.
- Next, depending on the type of adhesive, the backing of the flexible stone veneer is prepped by using primers or solvents.
- Then the adhesive is spread on the back of the stone veneer and fixed firmly on the receiving material.
Points to keep in mind while Installing Flexible Stone Veneers
- Ensure that you test the chosen adhesive prior to installation. See if it’s strong enough and suitable for the project.
- Humidity and temperature of the environment also play a crucial role in impacting the project output.
- If you’re installing stone veneers outdoors, make sure to account for thermal expansion as well. The adhesive with expand and contract with temperature changes.
- Make sure to test the bond between adhesive and receiving material prior to installation. We recommend testing the adhesive on a small test patch before application. Knowledge of the adhesive and the right surface for it is a must for successful flexible stone veneer installation.
If you need any further guidance, get in touch with Decor Slimstone, the No.1 flexible stone veneer manufacturers, India. Now, that we’ve seen the installation, let’s delve deeper into flexible stone veneers.
What is flexible thin stone veneer?
Flexible stone veneers are natural stone slabs that are cut extremely thin. The natural stone sheet is backed by fibreglass and is used for several indoor and outdoor applications. Extremely light-weight and highly flexible, thin stone veneers are used in a variety of applications like:
- Wall panelling
- Feature walls
- Doors and cabinets
- Kitchen backsplashes and trims
- Commercial signage and more
Structure of Flexible Stone Veneers
Flexible stone veneers are a thin layer of natural stone with fibreglass backing. The stones are extremely thin and the fibreglass backing make it super flexible. Apart from fibreglass, other backing materials like cotton fabric can also be used. The two layers – thin stone and backing – are fixed together using a special glue.
Since, the backing material is flexible, the natural stone layer on top is also flexible. This makes flexible stone veneers a great choice for interior applications where stone was not used previously due to its structural limitations.
Colour & Texture
Flexible stone veneers are made from natural stone. Hence, they are likely to have natural variations in texture, colour and surface. This gives a beautiful unique finished look that is similar to the timeless beauty of natural stone.
Natural flexible stone veneers are made with natural stones. Hence, they are incredibly weather-resistant. It can easily withstand the harsh UV rays from the sun, rain, sleet and even frost. It suits well for both hot and cold climates.
Substrate is the receiving material on top of which the flexible stone veneer is fixed. It can be fixed on:
- Concrete walls, blocks, etc. for external applications
- Solid wood, Styrofoam boards, plywood, etc. for indoor applications
- Doors and cabinets
Dry and Wet Cutting
Flexible stone veneer sheets are easy to cut and can be shaped using regular domestic cutting materials.
As the name implies, flexible stone veneers are incredibly versatile. They can either take a concave or convex structure depending on the curvature of the receiving material. The fibre glass backing ensures that the stone layers on top do not chip or crack, even when bent.
Flexible stone veneers can easily be fixed to several substrates using Polyurethane Glue. Some recommended adhesives for stone veneer installations include:
- Polyurethane Glue
- Dual component Epoxy Resins
- Silicone Adhesive
- Doors and cabinets
- Epoxy-based Adhesives
- Polyurethane Wood – Both Foaming & Non-Foaming Adhesives
*For wet applications like shower enclosures, bathrooms, etc, we highly recommend the usage of epoxy resin-based adhesives for the best results.
Flexible stone veneers can be sealed just like natural stone. The type of sealant you use will depend on the stone used in the veneer. For further guidance, reach out Decor Slimstone, one of the top flexible stone veneer suppliers in India.
Flexible stone veneers are an incredibly versatile material, ideal for both indoor and outdoor applications. Browse our extensive product gallery to find the best stone veneers for your projects.